I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is the first word, the last word, and
if there is such a thing, the middle word, on overlanding. Buy it – you won’t regret it.
SA 4×4 magazine.
The second edition of OLH will be out this summer. OLH2 will be a less expensive paperback with all the comprehensive detail updated and condensed to 500 pages, and featuring new AMH-style colour trip reports by overland adventurers from all around the world.
• Planning, preparation and documentation
• Vehicle choice – from a regular 2WD car or van to an AWD truck
• Overlanding with children
• Outfitting a vehicle for long-term travel
• Guidelines on building your own motorhome-style cabin
• Life on the road: borders, wild camping, money changing, scams, police trouble
• Off-road driving and recovery techniques
• Navigation using maps, GPS and common sense
• Short- and long-range communications
• Travellers health; a comprehensive resource on the road
• Travelling with dogs
• Vehicle troubleshooting and repairs
• The last word on intercontinental single-vehicle shipping
• Colour overlanders’ trip reports
• Continental Route Outlines for Africa, Asia and Latin America